Tuesday, February 23, 2016

What Happens When You Go to Sham Shui Po on a Whim?

I Died and Came Back to Life


It's alive! By "it" I mean my blog, along with my creative life, and me. I'm alive. We're alive. One and a half years later.

Much has changed since I last wrote. I moved to Hong Kong in October 2014, got a real job, got some friends, moved out of my parents' house into my own apartment, and now I am here, typing up this blog post.

Saturday, in a rare bout of inspiration, I went to the stalls on Ki Lung Street in Sham Shui Po and bought some fabric.

New favorite way to spend Saturday morning: wandering around the fabric stalls in Sham Shui Po.

Treasure from the Stalls of Sham Shui Po


Here's what I got (prices in HKD):
  • $20 x 3 yards of denim = $60 
  • $15 x 2.5 yards of patterned cotton (I think) = $38
  • $1 x 12 brass-colored buttons to go with the denim = $12
I wonder if I should learn to bargain? Nah.

There was a shop selling fabric covered in knockoff Gudetama (bloodstained yolk and all) and other knockoff cartoon characters. I think the fabric was mostly for bedding because they had a lot of pictures of beds and stuff. There was a table with small rolls of fabric that could each be had for $14. Here's what I got:
  • $14 for like 1.5 yards of polka dotty canvas stuff
  • $14 for like 1.5 yards of canvas stuff with a cute leaf print on it

I got seven placemats out of the polka dot fabric. What to do with the leaves?

To get reacquainted with this sewing machine, I made some VERY SLOPPY placemats with the polka-dot fabric. Next time I will take the time to sew mitered corners. No more cutting corners. *rimshot*

The Day I Got a Sewing Machine


I bet you're wondering when, why, and how I got a sewing machine. Here's the story.

A couple months ago—maybe it was September?—Alice and Diana came over for a crepe party. 

Diana and Alice, pro food stylists.

It was the best meal I've ever eaten in my apartment.

Damn, that was a good brunch.

Why is the crepe party relevant to this post? After we made and ate the crepes, they talked me into getting a sewing machine from the Singer sewing machine shop in Sheung Wan. The shop was having a sale to celebrate students returning to school.

I am now the proud owner of a Singer Tradition model 2250. And have been since September.

The Singer Tradition 2250 at my window. I think I am living my dream life.

The machine lay dormant until Halloween, when I sewed up a Batman mask and logo thing out of felt. 

LOL my friend Juro took this picture. It took a really long time to get the garbage bag to hover properly in the wind.

Resurrecting the Sewing Machine with New Projects


But I'm happy to have dusted off the sewing machine. I wish I didn't have to go to work and could just stay at home cutting and sewing stuff all day.

Here's What I Plan to Make

  • Alder Shirtdress from Grainline Studio, made of denim. I need to find some heavier thread and get some more needles for my machine.
  • The Staple Dress by April Rhodes from the cotton print. Need to find elastic thread somewhere, maybe from the Needlework Shop at lunch time ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment