Monday, April 28, 2014

Wiksten Tank Dress with elastic waistband and... POCKETS.


ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh


So after making a bunch of Wiksten Tanks (pics later), I bought some cool fabric thinking I'd make matching tank tops for my twin Jessica and me. My thought process behind choosing this fabric: we are pisces and her wardrobe is full of black, white, grey, and stripes. So I thought this might add a bit of colour. Um, a lot of colour.

UMMMMM, what was I thinking?!

Lucky for Jessica, I didn't have enough of the fish fabric to make two tank tops. So I decided to make myself a dress instead. With an elastic waistband (because the dress looks like a mumu on me otherwise) and pockets (because I hate carrying a purse. In fact, I don't really own one).

Hooray, my first ever dress!


Evan took this picture of me when we rode our bikes up to the bluffs. FUN!!!

Mods:

  • raised neckline by 3/4''
  • S in armholes, neck, but traced between XS and S for side seam
  • added pockets using this tutorial. (Next time adjust from 1/2" to 5/8" to match the 3/8" seam allowance. I don't know what I'm talking about here but I feel like I should remember this note for next time.)
  • added an elastic (made it up): cut out a bias casing from fabric, 3" wide, as long as the dress. Sewed it along waistline.


MISTAKES!!!!!


the dress of dead fish.

  • the fish are upside down!!!! What was I thinking?
  • the bias tape facing at the neckline and armholes doesn't lay flat. I think that next time for the first step I'll sew it at a 1/4'' seam allowance (instead of 3/8'') -- is this an error in the pattern? I don't know. Or use this tutorial from grainline for getting bias necklines to stay flat
  • the bunching of the fabric because of the elastic waist looks a bit awkward but I don't really care that much.


NEXT TIME:

  • Try cutting the top part and the skirt part separately. Would eliminate some of the bunching.
  • Don't cut fabric after midnight.

Bye!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment